"ONE OF THE OLDEST IF NOT ALREADY THE OLDEST FAN CLUB ORGANIZATION FOR BATTLESTAR GALACTICA"

"There are those who believe that life here began out there, far across the universe, with tribes of humans who may have been the forefathers of the Egyptians, or the Toltecs, or the Mayans. Some believe that there may yet be brothers of man who even now fight to survive, somewhere beyond the heavens."

" ON JULY 1, 2024, THE BATTLESTAR GALACTICA FAN CLUB CELEBRATES 24 YEARS! " 

NOTE:  **THE WEBSITE WILL GO THROUGH SOME CHANGES FOR THE 25TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE CLUB ORGANIZATION - JULY 1, 2025**

Fellow Flying Tigers!

For the last couple of weeks I have been working on putting together my very own “Flying Tiger’s” Viper Mk II model (FTV Mk II).  Thankfully, I’ve had a lot of support from Lt. Reamer with the project.  He suggested that I write a blog and post it here to share it with all of you. 

The Viper model kit is made by a company called Moebius Models.  They offer many different BSG models and I’ve been very happy with the quality of this model kit.  In addition, I also purchased a Revell P-40B Tiger Shark model kit to use a few of the decals for my FTV.  I used the P-40’s instructions to help me layout and design the camouflage pattern that reflects the image of our squadron’s emblem.

First the cockpit is painted then the Dradius and gauge decals are applied to the control panels. Extra details were added by painting various switches and controls in the cockpit. Then it’s set aside until the fuselage is ready for assembly. It’s pretty basic, adding more colors and details would be a good idea for models I plan on building for anyone from our squadron that’s interested.

Next wires were added to the engines to make them look more detailed.  A heated sewing needle was very carefully used to make holes and then “craft wire” was strung through the holes.  Mostly, 26 gauge wire was used, and then once it was all in place, the engines and wire details were painted a steel color.  It took me a little while to get used to installing the wire because it was something I had never done before.  I used a picture of what it should look like as a guide and was happy with the results. 

After cementing the model together, putty was used to fill in a few of the seams on the fuselage and then it was sanded.  Mostly the putty was used on both sides of the cockpit and some of the other seams to smooth it out so they are no longer visible.  Then the first coat of sandy-tan paint was applied as the base coat.  The bottom was painted flat gray.  Next I laid out the camo design on paper, roughly in line with the P-40 instructions but it was adapted to the Viper’s shape.  Olive green paint was used to make the outlines of the camo pattern, and then the green stripes were filled in.  Along the way I made a few adjustments to the width of the stripes with Lt. Reamer’s suggestions.  I’m really happy with how the paint job came out! 

Once I was satisfied with the paint job, it was sprayed with a clear coat to prepare for the decals.  Personally, I enjoy putting on the decals, so that was a fun step.  I used most of the decals that come with the Viper kit, leaving out the name plate, tail number, “Galactica” and decals that would interfere with the Shark Mouth and Flying Tiger decals from the P-40 model kit. The Flying Tiger decals were applied on the side engine intakes tilted up like they’re ready to pounce! The center section of the Shark Mouth decal is removed so the decal fits onto the nose of the Viper correctly. 

Creating the custom decals was the most challenging aspect of the project for me; at times it was downright frustrating!  Testor’s decal paper and decal bonder were used for the custom decals.  I fiddled around with the designs on my computer with Lt. Reamer’s help, and then printed them with my inkjet printer.  The custom decals consisted of “Raven’” my very own Viper Name plate and Tail Number assigned by Admiral Rivera.

The Viper name plate otherwise known as the VNP was the most difficult because the letters are just so small.  After the custom decals are printed, they must be sprayed with a few coats of decal bonder letting them dry in between each coat.  It took quite a few tries to get them to come out just right; it was difficult to arrive at the correct size, color, and print settings. The custom decals ended up being black instead of gray; I think the black looks really nice so it was worth the fuss.    

I did some weathering on my first Viper model built as Starbuck’s Mk-II, but I decided against weathering this one.  Mostly because I think it turned out really well, so it looks nice without weathering but it’s always an option.  Anyway, I hope this Blog been interesting for everyone!  I’m open to your feedback whether positive or negative, because I’m always looking to improve!

If anyone is interested, I am willing to build you your very own personalized Flying Tiger’s Viper. The choice is yours, either the Mk-II or Mk-VII.

If you would like me to build one for you, I need to know which of the following option you prefer:

MK-II or VII

Name, Call Sign, Tail Number

Skids up or down

Pilot/Canopy glued or loose

Also design preference for pilot outfit?

Viper Glued to base or loose

-Ens. Grace “Bunny” Nonemaker

Views: 1392

Replies to This Discussion

It's great, Grace. The pieces are attached, or should we stick with glue and then painted?

GREAT JOB "BUNNY"!!!! THIS IS REALLY AN AWESOME BUILD. :)

Great job Bunny, your first Flying Tiger's Viper looks awesome and it's a great representation of of what our squadron stands for. I feel like launching from the Raven and scrapping a few toasters!!!!!!

SO SAY WE ALL! ! ! ! !

WOW! Superb Work! When I First Discussed With Reamer About The Markings, A 1/48 P-40 Sheet Was What I Had In Mind(Or,An A-10). 

CAG

The 1/48 scale Shark Mouth fits the Mk-II very well. There's only one pilot in our squadron that chose to fly the Mk-VII. The Mk-VII may be able to use a 1/72 scale decal from the same type of model kit. If not I have another alternative in mind that I'm sure will work out.

That is outstanding work!

Wow!  This looks awesome, Bunny!  

Is this the same design as the one that Starbuck (reboot BSG) flew back tot he fleet after she had been presumed killed in that anomoly??

I just thought I'd quickly pop in here while taking a late quick lunch break (lots of work to do).  When I saw this yesterday, I love what I saw.  You did a great job on this.  I had to share it on the Raven Facebook page.  And people love your work.  See it for yourself:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=628990297121471&set=a.4...

It is really an awesome job.  Keep up the great work :-)

Cherry "DragonLady"

Battlestar Galactica Fan Club Vice President

Commanding Officer-Battlestar Raven-BFC 002

Bunny,

Just to chime in (I've been away for on leave), OUTSTANDING job!  Your attention to detail is amazing!  Again, well done!

-Mace

I am totally going to try to do this

Grandiosa maqueta, muy chula. Great model, very cool.

Really excellent job on paint and markings of the Viper mkII

RSS

About

DragonLady002 created this Ning Network.

SO SAY WE ALL

WELCOME COLONIALS

Welcome to the Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

mWelkom by die Battle Galactica Fan Club

Mirë se vini në Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

مرحبا بكم في نادي غلكتيك مروحة غالاكتيكا

Բարի գալուստ Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Bu Battlestar Galactica Fan Club xoş gəlmisiniz

Ongi etorri Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Сардэчна запрашаем у Battlestar Galactica Фан-клуб

স্বাগতম Battlestar Galactica ফ্যান ক্লাব

Добре дошли във фен клуб на Battlestar Galactica

Benvingut al Club de Fans de Battlestar Galactica

Dobrodošli na Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Vítejte na Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Velkommen til Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Welkom op de Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Tere tulemast Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Maligayang pagdating sa Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Tervetuloa Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Bienvenue au Club Battlestar Galactica Fan

Benvido ao Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

მოგესალმებით Battlestar Galactica კლუბი

Willkommen auf der Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Καλώς ήλθατε στο Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Battlestar Galactica ફેન કલબ પર આપનું સ્વાગત છે

Byenveni nan Battlestar galaktika Fan Club la

Battlestar Galactica फैन क्लब में आपका स्वागत है है

Üdvözöljük a Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Velkomin á Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Selamat datang di Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Fáilte chuig an Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Benvenuti nel Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

バトルスターギャラクティカファンクラブへようこそ

ಬ್ಯಾಟಲ್ಸ್ಟಾರ್ ಗಲಾಕ್ಟಿಕಾ ಫ್ಯಾನ್ ಕ್ಲಬ್ ಸ್ವಾಗತ

Laipni lūdzam Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Sveiki atvykę į Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Добредојдовте на Battlestar Galactica фан клуб

Selamat datang ke Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Merħba lill-Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Velkommen til Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

به باشگاه فن زیرنویس Battlestar خوش آمدید

Witamy w Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Bem-vindo ao Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Bine aţi venit la Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Добро пожаловать в Battlestar Galactica Фан-клуб

Добродошли у Баттлестар Галацтица фан клуб

Vitajte na Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Dobrodošli v Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Bienvenido al Club de Fans de Battlestar Galactica

Karibu Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Välkommen till Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

பேட்டில்ஸ்டார் கேலக்டிகா ரசிகர் கிளப் வரவேற்கிறோம்

బ్యాటిల్స్టార్ గలాస్టికా ఫ్యాన్ క్లబ్ కు స్వాగతం

ยินดีต้อนรับสู่ Battlestar Galactica แฟนคลับ

Ласкаво просимо до Battlestar Galactica Фан-клуб

Battlestar Galactica فین کلب کو خوش آمدید

Chào mừng bạn đến với Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

Croeso i Battlestar Galactica Fan Club

באַגריסונג צו די באַטטלעסטאַר גאַלאַקטיקאַ פאַן קלוב

太空堡垒的粉丝俱乐部

太空堡壘的粉絲俱樂部

배틀 스타 갤럭 티카 팬 클럽에
오신 것을 환영합니다

Battlestar Galactica Fan Club ברוכים הבאים

FEATURED

FLEET IS FAMILY INITIATIVE

Fund-raising initiative created in September 2020 to aid the respite and recovery of Actor Michael Hogan, with a forward-thinking view of helping the future health needs of both BSG Alumni and its Community alike.

TO DONATE, PLEASE CLICK ON THE LINK BELOW:

MICHAEL HOGAN FUNDRAISING

-----------------------------------------------

The RCM (Raven Colonial Marines)

Check us out on our new Facebook page by clicking on the poster. Better yet, JOIN the Few, The Proud, The Raven Colonial Marines, helping safeguard the fleet!

Raven Challenge Coins-

1.  BFC Raven Command Challenge Coin- Not available to the public. ONLY through equal exchange between other Battlestar Chapters Command Staff Members to promote comraderie and friendship between other Battlestar Chapters

2. Raven General Membership Coin- ONLY 35 was made available for to be obtain by the general public.

The Classic Colonial Viper built by: Team BSG Viper Group

Founding Members:

Karl Kuhlenschmidt

George Mellis

"DragonLady"

"Ice Worm"

BSG Original Series NOW available for streaming at NBC.com.  Just click on the picture below:

© 2024   Created by DragonLady002.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service